I have almost completed my fairy garden. It took me more time than I thought that it would. However I am really proud of my DIY aspects of my garden. There is one more project that I want to do for it but I will have to wait a few weeks before I have the the time to go and find what I am looking for in nature.
When first start planning your own you garden think about how you want it to look. While I used Pinterst as concept board to save images as inspiration. I started to look online first for ideas, then scoured craft stores, and green houses. Firstly I wanted a castle rather than a traditional looking house. I also wanted to make my own fence.
I found these cute lill castle birdhouses at Micheal’s I bought three of them to construct the castle the way I thought would the cutest. I had to adjust them to make them look the way that I wanted them too look.
I cut off the string as I was not going to hang them.
I used a craft knife to cut off the wooden post.
With the same knife I also used it to help me remove the ‘tower’ off one the houses.
To give me the idea of how I would place the pieces in the dirt. (The secret is that I just turned two of the house around in the opposite direction)
Next I covered the houses in Distress ink. I used Aged Mahogany. After I covered as much as could with the inker. I just put some of the ink on the craft sheet and used a small brush to add the ink to places that I wanted more ink on … like all the left over exposed wood parts.
Here is the castle as it is placed into the garden.
I also bought some craft sticks to construct my fence. I knew what I wanted to do with my fence as I had seen a youtube video about making a small craft fence. I wanted mine to larger but I took the concept from what I remember seeing and putting my own spin into the making of the fence.
I used Distress inks to make the fence the colors that I wanted. I used a mix of colors from Tim Holtz’s Distress line. Black Soot, Pealed Paint, Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge and Aged Linen.
I only colored the tops of the sticks because the other part was going to put the half of it was in the ground.
First I used added a large gauge wire to hold the fence pieces then a small gauge wire to tie the posts onto the wire. Making my own fence took a LOT longer than I thought that it would, however it is simply adorable.
When I added the second layer of wire it added a lot of stability to the fence. One of the reasons I wanted to use wire is because I wanted the fence to be flexible as I was not sure what the landscape was going to look like yet.
This is the fencing in action. Two lengths of fence made up of about 35 posts each.
My plants consist of mostly clover and succulents. I also planted a cute succulent on top of and behind the castle. Two types of chicks and hens. Some clover planted on either side of the castle. There are even a few that have 4 leafs. Every fairy brings good luck. To the right there is a mini fern and to the left almost out of view is a mini hosta. At the very bottom of the hill there a few violets. Up the center is some steps made from mini tiles.
On the third day we got a toad guardian visitor.